Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"Oh no you DIH-ENT!" (finger waving in an "S" shape with hand on hip)

Scott came home a few weeks ago and I'm on the couch with my foot propped up on pillows, wrapped in ice and said that he promised some friends that we would run the HALF MARATHON in St. George in November! OH NO YOU DIH-ENT! (didn't) I can't believe it. At the moment, I had many emotions; FEAR ("oh my goodness, I barely made it through the 5K in May, how could I run 13 miles?!), ANGUISH ("I'm nursing a sprained foot right now and am I ever going to be able to run?"), ANXIETY ("a HALF MARATHON!?!? Are you KIDDING ME???")...among others. (A friend told us that from our house to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple and back is about 13 miles.) oh. my. GOODNESS!

I haven't ran since my mom was in the hospital, so as of today, it's been about a month. I feel like it won't be too bad to get back out there and run, but I know I am going to have to start slowly to get back to where I was when I stopped. After the shock wore off, I've started to entertain the idea a bit. I have resolved that I am going to do it, even if I have to run/walk! It is a HUGE undertaking for me, I'm really scared when I think of the actual race, but maybe that won't be so bad once I start training. Although, I have been really comfortable running in my neighborhood and to think of going outside that comfort zone is making me a bit nervous. I know that sounds weird, but I can't imagine running down 70th, down Grizzly way, down 90th south or Skye Drive, and toward the OM Temple...it just makes me nervous. (I think because it is such a long way from home!) I wonder if any of you have had these same emotions. If so, please let me know and what you've done to decrease/resolve the concern. And any other helpful tidbits you can give to this novice runner would be MUCH appreciated.

As I always say "You eat the elephant one bite at a time", so I'll be taking baby steps to get to the 13 miles. I love having to log my running details on this blog and your encouragement is priceless. Thanks all...and I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. I remember feeling like I had bitten off more than I could chew when I started my training for the marathon. I hadn't even been excercising regularly! I never timed my runs in the beginning. It was all about going the distance and keeping whatever pace would get me there. Then one day, not long into it, I realized it felt really good to run, I could go faster and I felt emotionally lifted. I'm not a "natural" at running, but I love the way it makes me feel. Train regularly and you'll be able to go the distance. On race day, just find the pace that will get you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not doubt that you can do this... you have plenty of time too!!! Google a training schedule and start small... And just because it's approx 13 miles to the temple, doesn't mean you have to go that route... Map one out with your car speedomiter... Stay off the roads that make you uncomfortable... Baby steps! YOU GOT THIS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you're training you can create all kinds of routes on www.mapmyrun.com.

    ReplyDelete